21 outubro 2004

Mulheres da minha vida (I)



Quem: Dorothy Parker

O Qu�: Poetisa e escritora

Porqu�: Por ter sido uma "deixa l�" como eu, pela vida que levou, pelo que escreveu e pela forma como falou.

A ler: The Collected Dorothy Parker. Excelente compila��o da obra da escritora, da Penguin.

A evitar: O filme sobre a sua vida. Terr�vel injusti�a � mem�ria dela.

Farpas:

"Too fucking busy, and vice versa." (em resposta ao editor durante a lua-de-mel)

"That woman speaks eight languages and can't say 'no' in any of them"

"The two most beautiful words in the English language are: 'Cheque enclosed.'"

"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to."

"I went to a convent in New York and was fired finally for my insistence that the Immaculate Conception was spontaneous combustion."


Poemas:

R�sum�
Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.


On Being a Woman
Why is it, when I am in Rome,
I'd give an eye to be at home,
But when on native earth I be,
My soul is sick for Italy?

And why with you, my love, my lord,
Am I spectacularly bored,
Yet do you up and leave me- then
I scream to have you back again?

Unfortunate Coincidence
By the time you swear you're his,
Shivering and sighing,
And he vows his passion is
Infinite, undying ---
Lady, make a note of this:
One of you is lying.

Superfluous Advice
Should they whisper false of you,
Never trouble to deny;
Should the words they say be true,
Weep and storm and swear they lie.

0 bitaite(s):

Enviar um comentário